Maybe you write some damn good blogs. Or maybe you've even written a best-selling book before. When it comes to content writing, learning how to write Instagram captions is a whole other ball game.

You might've even written great material in the meaty center of your message. But if you began with an insecure, apologetic, or fluffy "hook" sentence like:

  • "hey guys, just popping in to say that..."
  • " happy Friday!!!"
  • "happy monday"
  • "I hate to sound salesy but I'm launching a...."

Then you lost like 99% of people's attention. The remaining 1% are your best friends, family, and maybe that one loyal follower who always comments.

Think of the first sentence of your caption as the subject line of an email or a blog title that makes an article click-worthy. It’s a hook. It needs to speak to a pain point with a question or statement relevant to your target audience. If you want to position yourself as a leader within your industry you can’t apologize for pitching and you can’t waste your audience’s time with a weak first sentence.

19 Fill-in-the-Blank Instagram Caption Hook Templates

The below Instagram caption hook ideas are based on top-performing pieces of content from my Instagram.

  1. 7 ways to Make More Content without Going Insane
  2. 5 TikTok tips for SaaS Brands
  3. Tired of Getting No ROI From Social Media? Here Are 3 Tips.
  4. Are You Buying Your Followers and Engagement? Here's What I Think....
  5. Can’t Believe I Took a 30-Day Social Media Break
  6. Save This Post for When You Need Content Ideas
  7. How to Create an Affiliate Program for Your Software
  8. The REAL Reason You’re Not Getting Results from Content Marketing
  9. Practical Guide for Content Marketing for SaaS Brands
  10. Will You Dare to Post More or give in to Fear of Failure?
  11. 9 of My Favorite Ways to Get Market Research Done
  12. BEHIND THE SCENES: Setting up a Studio on a Shoestring Budget
  13. How to Build an In-House Content Team Without Hiring an Agency
  14. How I Made My First $5,000 by Using Conversational Marketing
  15. How I Use LinkedIn for Social Selling
  16. 3 Ways to Use Airtable for Content Marketing Calendars
  17. Ultimate Checklist for Setting up Killer Social Media Content
  18. TikTok for Business: What Do YOU Think About It?
  19. Scared of Being on Camera? Try This!

Bonus Tips to Write Good Instagram Captions

A great first sentence in your Instagram content writing triggers curiosity. Would you rather read:

  1. "Hey guys, so I just wanted to pop by real quick because I was thinking about…"
  2. "The Engagement Hack 99% of Business Owners Aren't Trying "



Option 1: Assumes people already know you and have established a basic relationship with you. Don’t assume people know who you are or what you’re about.

Option 2: Makes you wonder what this could be to get the satisfaction of knowing you’re the 1% who will do the work. It’s intriguing without being classified as clickbait because you deliver the answers people came seeking.

And if you don’t know how to even fill in the blanks in the Instagram caption idea templates above, this means you don’t know your target audience well enough. No hard feelings, you just need to do more research to write better content.

There are different levels to the content experience. Most people on social platforms, like Instagram, don’t know you. Your content creates awareness around your brand. And making them care about what your brand is even about can start with something as simple as a good hook sentence to start your caption.
So, which of these caption templates will you use?